What Happens When A Child Get Hurts in a Car Accident?

child in carseat

Car accidents are traumatic events, especially when children are involved. The emotional and physical toll can be overwhelming for the entire family. In such unfortunate circumstances, what happens to the financial compensation a child may receive from a personal injury lawsuit? This is a question that many parents, guardians, and concerned family members have, and it's worth exploring in detail.

A Brief History

Interestingly, the issue of financial compensation for minors is not unique to personal injury cases. Dating back to the early 20th century, there have been situations where children earned substantial amounts of money, only for it to be mismanaged or spent by their guardians. Prominent cases include child actors whose earnings were squandered by their parents. Laws have been enacted since then to protect the financial interests of minors.

Legal Safeguards for Children’s Compensation

Today, almost every state has specific laws in place to ensure that if a child receives money—whether from an acting gig, an inheritance, or as a result of a personal injury lawsuit—that money is protected for the child’s benefit. These laws often involve the appointment of a financial guardian or a trust to manage the funds until the child reaches the age of majority.

The Age of Majority

The age of majority varies from state to state but generally falls between 18 and 21. This is the age at which the child is legally considered an adult and gains control over their finances, among other rights and responsibilities. In the context of a personal injury lawsuit, any financial compensation awarded to a child is usually kept in a protected account until they reach this age.

Supervision of Funds

Typically, the court appoints a responsible adult, often a parent or legal guardian, to supervise the investments and disbursement of the funds. In most cases, there are strict regulations about when and how the money can be used before the child reaches the age of majority. Using these funds usually requires court approval to ensure it serves the child’s best interests.

The Colorado Context

Suppose you're in Boulder, Colorado, or any other part of the state. In that case, the laws here similarly mandate that funds awarded to minors be held in trust or a restricted account until the child reaches the age of majority, which is 21 in Colorado. For more info: Child Accident... Where does the money go? - Chris Parks Law

Why Consult an Attorney?

Navigating the complexities of a personal injury case involving a child can be emotionally taxing and legally complex. It is crucial to consult an attorney experienced in such sensitive matters. A local attorney can provide precise, tailored advice to ensure your child’s financial future is secure.


The emotional ordeal of seeing a child injured is incomparable, but knowing their financial compensation is legally safeguarded offers a small solace. If your child has been involved in a car accident, legal advice is indispensable. At Chris Parks Law, we provide a free consultation to address any concerns you may have about securing your child’s financial future.

Want to read more

View All

Need professional legal advice?

Get a free consultation with our legal experts.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Free Case